This year, National Poison Prevention Week falls during the week of March 17 and highlights awareness and prevention of poisoning, and what to do if any unfortunate scenarios occur. We use this week to remind pet owners about potential dangers their furry friends can encounter if they are exposed to everyday household objects.
Since pets are naturally curious, it’s extremely important to keep certain things away from paws’ reach, so we recommend you pay special attention to:
- Living Rooms. Poisonous items in this area can include toxic plants, electrical cords, batteries, and bags and purses (which can contain dangerous items including xylitol-sweetened gum).
- Kitchens. In addition to the many human foods that are poisonous to pets, garbage cans are best kept pet proof, and alcoholic beverages need to be safely stored away from curious snouts.
- Bathrooms. All medications need to be safely stored away in cupboards and not on countertops. Bathroom cleaning products should also be tucked away, and always remember to close toilet lids—especially after using toilet bowl cleaners.
- Garages. Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) products have a sweet taste that pets may enjoy, however these are extremely toxic and should be safely hidden. Car cleaning products and fluids need to also be properly stored.
- Outdoor areas. Keep fertilizers sealed and out of reach. Grub or snail killers can also be harmful to pets, as well as insecticides and sprayed herbicides.
The above examples are just some of the common places where pets can be exposed to harmful everyday products. If you believe your pet has ingested anything toxic, please immediately call us at 630-427-4070 with the approximate amount ingested and the product label or item type. After clinic hours, you can contact the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.
For more information about toxic household substances, please call us at 630-427-4070.